Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Bliss in Solitaire.......

When I reached Chalakudy railway station it was 2.30 in the morning, this is the only nearest approachable city to the reach the falls, usually all my treks or hikes and adventure is with my group of friends or a team and known region with a known language, this time it so happened I was on a visit to Kerala and since I had heard of these beautiful waterfalls I thought I could see when I was there, so finally I landed in Chalakudy.
Station early in the morning travelling alone and an unknown language totally exhausted with the journey and feeling very sleepy with heavy rains at the place I thought I should spend the night at the station itself there were hardly anyone with just one or two who were fast asleep on the platform I also sat on a bench a had a small nap.
Bus stand is around 4km from the station I freshened up and waited for a bus to reach the bus stand to catch a bus since the early morning bus to reach was delayed I missed the first bus to reach Athirapally.
I had breakfast and waited for the next bus, the only problem here is local language and food other places people are able to converse in Hindi or English but here we have to know the local language or we end up in big trouble being an alien, after lot of sign and medieval way of communicating I reached Athirapally.
I took tickets for entry & started to walk little fast. After 5 minutes walk I reached top of the waterfalls. Perched high above in the Sholayar forest ranges on the fringes of Kerala's famed rain forests, the Athirapalli waterfalls provides a restful escape for those wanting to leave the hurried pace of city life behind.
The view from the top of the waterfalls was fantastic but I was not satisfied so I asked a forest guard about the route to reach the bottom of the falls accordingly as per his guidance I followed an easier path & reached bottom within 15 minutes. There was a big crowd on top but not a single soul at the bottom. The volume & sound of the falls seemed like blasting a chain of grenades at one place.
With great difficultly I took some picture of the falls ,totally drenched it was a great experience I enjoyed all alone under a wild falls spent more time at the bottom & started back. I heard there were 2 more waterfalls near Athirapally.
But in a village except for tourist vehicles we can't get a single Auto or Car for rent. Nothing was available here. I missed the 9 o’clock bus I enquired locals & got the 12o clock one to reach the next place.
Finally I started to walk in the direction of hill station (valparai) which is along side of the Chalkudy River, walking alone on the beautiful road in Sholayar forest was very pleasant experience to me. Around 3 km’s walk I reached Charpa waterfalls here its Plunges on to the side of the road it’s a sight to watch and enjoy. Spending much time near this I left this place.
Charpa waterfalls...
After 2 km’s walk I reached a Vazhachal waterfall which is at a small distance from the road. Athirapalli & Vazhachal waterfalls are a part of the Chalakudy River and 5 km apart on the road to hill station (valparai) which has excellent tea estate and is one of India's highest elephant density habitats and is a crucial corridor between Parambikulam and Malayattur. Vazhachal waterfall...
Vazhachal is popular for its flora and herbal plantations (maintained by the forest department) it’s cool, misty waters cascading down with the backdrop of thick green forest and rocky terrain gives a scintillating experience ,I walked back on the well maintained roads a solitary wonderful trek all together connecting with nature in a wonderful way was very pleasant........

6 comments:

ರಾಜೇಶ್ ನಾಯ್ಕ said...

explorer!

Aravind GJ said...

I had seen this falls in summer. Looks different (as expected!!) and cool in Monsoon.

P.N. Subramanian said...

Adventurous! Indeed it is difficult when you do not know the local language. If you understand Hindi, you may visit my blog at http://mallar.wordpress.com and here is a link for my own article on Athirapally: (You need to copy and paste)
http://mallar.wordpress.com/2009/03/12/%E0%A4%8F%E0%A4%95-%E0%A4%A8%E0%A4%AF%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%97%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%B0%E0%A4%BE-%E0%A4%AA%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%B0%E0%A4%AA%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%A4-%E0%A4%95%E0%A5%87%E0%A4%B0%E0%A4%B2-%E0%A4%AE%E0%A5%87/

ಪಾಚು-ಪ್ರಪಂಚ said...

Hi Rakesh,

Wonderful..! Falls photos are nice, really liked last photo of the road :-)

thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

gday rakeshholla.blogspot.com owner discovered your website via search engine but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have discovered website which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your site http://xrumer-services.net they claim they managed to get close to 4000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my website. Hope this helps :) They offer most cost effective services to increase website traffic Take care. Roberto

Sunil said...

Excellent photos!!! Great work.